Is Prevention A Measurable Outcome?

Is Prevention a Measurable Outcome?

I was traveling with my niece recently. After hearing me talk up the benefits of supplementation with nutrition and herbs, she started taking some products on her own. She asked me with sincerity, "How do you know that the supplements are working?"

This is a common question. How does one measure what they don't get? You understand that if you don't take care of yourself, you'll likely get a cold or develop a health condition. People question the converse of this statement. The converse being--If you do take care of yourself you will likely experience wellness.

My niece wasn't convinced. "I feel like you were still sick a few times last year...with a cold" I answered with confidence, "I may have been. I'm sure I had a cold here or there. Here's the difference though--I haven't been to a doctor in over five years for illness. I also haven't have a pharmaceutical product either over the counter or by prescription in over 5 years. I haven't missed a day of work because I've had a cold or some other illness."

How we relate to our health determines how we experience illness. There are folks who supplement with nutritional and herbal products and never get sick. That's not where I'm at right now. Currently, I know that I'm healthier because of my choices. I am more resilient. I don't fall hard from a cold and I recover more quickly. This is how I measure the efficacy of prevention.

I take nutritional supplements and herbs by Standard Process and MediHerb. I eat clean 90% of the time. I prioritize my sleep. I move my body in different ways, every day. These are mindful choices I make to support a wellness in my mind and body. In turn my spirit also benefits.

Prevention is key in building a strong immune system and increasing resilience in our bodies. Everything we do matters. Even the things we don't do.

What choices do you make that is helpful in creating wellness?

Comments